Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Frances Goodman in The Divine Comedy, MMK Frankfurt (inspiration, process)

My favorite piece in the show, The Divine Comedy (MMK Frankfurt) was by a South African artist I hadn't heard of before: Frances Goodman. Her piece was a sound collage, which was apparently originally part of a larger work (which I would have liked to see) called
The Dream.


According to her gallery, the piece was "constructed from her interviews with dozens of unmarried South African women, revealing the strong and varying opinions and feelings women have with regard to marriage and the societal pressure placed on them. Their opinions and voices are powerfully interlaced, forming what almost becomes an open and candid dialogue about the heated subject of weddings, marriage and their associations. Goodman admits that the level of honesty and disclosure surprised her.

“That’s what women do, they get married,” declares one anonymous voice. “If I was out with my mom and her friends and there was a 30-something year old woman who wasn’t married and she didn’t have children, I would think ‘how very strange’”, says another. “I think, ‘oh I’d have a better cake. I don’t want a wedding, but I would have a better cake’” admits another. “I feel like I’m getting older, I feel like I’m reaching my expiry date.” Another voice states “I’m much happier when I’m single. I don’t have anyone to question me, I’m not trying to please anyone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment